Real Estate Advisor I
|Post Name||Real Estate Advisor I|
|Company Name||City of Ottawa|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Working Hours||8 Hour|
|Location||Ottawa, ON, Canada K1A|
|Min. Salary||CAD 69713|
|Max. Salary||CAD 84825 Per Year|
The mandate of the Rail Construction Program is to transform, develop, grow and sustain Ottawa’s Light Rail Transit Systems as a component of the City of Ottawa’s overall transportation and mobility strategy.
You are responsible for providing day-to-day or strategic real estate acquisition, disposal, leasing, development, valuation, and/or management support services to the City.
You also: perform or assist in research/analysis; participate in the development of the project, capital, and operating budgets; communicate with various internal and external parties, and fulfill documenting and reporting requirements relating to their assignment. You may also work on cross-functional teams or specific projects.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Completion of a 3-year community college diploma in business administration, property management, or another field relating to real estate services.
Less than 1 year of experience is required.
Experience in a real estate environment is an asset, with specific experience assisting with one or more of the following areas: real property acquisition/disposition, property management/leasing, multi-stakeholder negotiations, land management, encroachments, and real estate financial administration.
- General knowledge of applicable legislation, including the Registry Act, Land Titles Act, Municipal Act, Planning Act, Commercial Tenancies Act, Residential Tenancies Act, and the Expropriations Act of Ontario
- General knowledge of legal documents as they apply to real property transactions in Ontario, including agreements of purchase and sale, agreements specific to the Expropriations Act, easements, lease agreements, licenses, and an understanding of contract and real property law
- General knowledge of City by-laws, plans, policies, procedures, and processes relating to the delivery of real estate services
- General knowledge of the rights and obligations of the City and the property owner vis-à-vis expropriations, and the expropriation negotiation and arbitration process of the Board of Negotiation and the Ontario Municipal Board
- General knowledge of Municipal government structure, including the Land Registry and Land Titles systems
- General knowledge of the appraisal process, legal surveys, and engineering plans as they relate to real estate services
- Knowledge of the Ottawa real estate market and general realty market trends
- General knowledge of Project Management
- Technical Report Writing
- General knowledge of financial principles and financial analysis
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Self-motivated, and able to work with minimal direction in a fast-paced, multi-project environment, and collaboratively with others
- Possess strong organizational skills and flexibility to plan, initiate, organize and prioritize own work and to effectively manage competing demands, conflicting priorities, sensitive issues, pressures, and deadlines
- Possess computer literacy in MS Office Suite in a Windows environment, including use of Intra/Internet
- Able to learn/use other advanced computer applications or software specific to the work assignments (databases, GIS)
- Possess a high degree of accuracy, and ability to draft legal agreements designed to secure land interests and/or releases for the City
- Possess research skills and the ability to interpret/analyze/evaluate issues and to make decisions/formulate recommendations
- Able to perform financial analysis and estimate project costs
- Able to write technical reports prepared in formats conducive to various audiences and City council
- Possess excellent interpersonal, communication, and public relations skills
- Possess negotiation skills to participate in negotiations to secure the required property interests for the City
- Possess conflict resolution skills to influence decisions, and to deal with contentious issues and situations
- Thorough, self-motivated, and reliable
- Organized, analytical, and attentive to detail
- Possess sound judgment, tact, and discretion
- Flexible and adaptable
- Possess initiative and creativity
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Language Requirement: English oral, reading, writing
- Driver’s License Requirement: A valid Ontario unrestricted G class driver’s license (or provincial equivalent) with no more than 6 demerit points accumulated
- Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed, it will no longer be available.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Ottawa promotes the principles of diversity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women, people with disabilities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.
The City of Ottawa provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.